Powered By Blogger

Monday 19 July 2010

I will never buy a DSG extended warranty again!........

Back in November 2004 we decide to get rid of our upright fridge freezer and replace it with a larder fridge. We decided we wanted one with a chilled drinks dispenser built into it.  We ended up at Comet as Currys weren't selling one at a reasonable price at the time.  Having decided on a particular model (Hoover) because it had the best designed interior we were really pleased to find that there was a £100 part-exchange deal on it, we still spent almost £300 on it and decided to have the 3 year extended warranty as it was priced quite reasonably.  No problems have occurred until recently when it started making some very loud 'cracking noises'  On further investigation we found a large split across the back of the liner/chill plate and below the crack was solid ice.  Now this is a frost free fridge so we knew something was wrong.  I called the breakdown number on the warranty and after going through a multitude of  'press 1 for... press 2 for......' I finally got to talk to a human being after about 20 mins.  After explaining the problem he gave me a 'job number' and the Comet Care telephone number and told me to ring them to arrange for an engineer to call.  I duly rang the number and again the 'press 1 for.. press 2 for..' started, I eventually got through to a guy and again explained the problem and told him I had a job number to quote from DSG.  With a very sarcastic 'thank you for that information Mr Rogers' he tells me he will need to put me through to one of his colleagues.  This took so long that the battery on the cordless phone went flat.  So I had to do it all again using my mobile, this time I chose a different selection and got straight through and made arrangements for an engineer to call in 2 days time.  At 8 am on Weds I get a call from the engineer to tell me he will be with me in 15 mins.  Ten mins later he turns up, takes one look at the fridge liner and tells me what I already know and also that it's a very common fault on larder fridges.  DSG do not start work until 9 am so he would have to call me later when he had spoken to them.  The phone rings at 09:10, it's the guy from Comet, as he thought the liner is not covered by the warranty and if we were not happy we needed to get back to DSG.  Pauline was furious! how can the liner not be covered? without the liner you do not have a fridge, just a metal box.  She was straight back on the phone to DSG, expecting an argument she EXPLAINED!  THE FRIDGE IS ONLY JUST OVER 5 YEARS OLD! THE SALESMAN TOLD US THIS WAS ONE OF THE BETTER MODELS AND NOW THE ENGINEER TELLS ME THIS PROBLEM WE HAVE IS VERY COMMON AND YOU SAY IT'S NOT COVERED? I WOULD NEVER HAVE PAID THE MONEY TO EXTEND THE COVER IF I'D KNOWN THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN! I think she was rather taken aback when the customer service guy agreed with her and said he would take this matter further and would call back later that afternoon.  I took the call and the guy said unfortunately the liner definitely is not covered but also that he personally was not happy with the situation and would pass the matter 'up the line' so we should expect a further call within 48 hours which we have not had! So now we wait, until Pauline gets home from work at 3 pm and gives DSG what for over the phone and then it's Comet's and Hoover's turn.  Did I mention that Pauline told him she has never had this sort of problem with Currys' Mastercare and would only use them from now on?

No comments:

Post a Comment